Are Your Eyes Overworked?
Devices with screens enhance the way you work, play, and relax, but they can also exhaust your eyes. If your eyes ache or feel tired after staring at a screen, you might be experiencing digital eye strain (DES).
Anyone can develop DES, but people with vision problems can develop more severe symptoms. Trust West Hollywood Optometric Center to help you avoid DES or reduce its impact on your life.
What Causes Digital Eye Strain?
Keeping Your Eyes Open Too Long
Blue Light Keeping Exposure
Blue light is a high-energy visible light found in the sun’s rays and most digital displays. Studies haven’t proven that it causes eye disease, but some research shows it can alter your circadian cycles, which affect the quality of your sleep. If you’ve been staring at a screen before bedtime, blue light might be one of the reasons your eyes feel tired the following day.
Strategies for Reducing Digital Eye Strain
Some people have tried to reduce the effects of DES by:
- Using the 20-20-20 rule to give their eyes regular breaks during screen use. Take 20 seconds during every 20 minute period of screen time to focus your eyes on something 20 feet away from you.
- Buying glasses designed to manage blue light entering your eyes. If you’re in the habit of using screens before bed, using these “blue light glasses” might promote more restful sleep.
Finding more tools and information for dealing with DES is easy. Just contact us today and let our eye doctors help.
See Us In West Hollywood
We can’t wait to help you make the best possible use of your eyes. Our practice is on Santa Monica Boulevard, near the intersection of Havenhurst Drive.
- 8205 Santa Monica Boulevard, Suite 15
- West Hollywood, CA 90046
- Monday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
Note: Saturday hours reflect the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month.
Our Eye Care Services
Adult & Senior Eye Exams
Uncovering risks to your eye health and vision helps you enjoy clear and functional vision for life. Learn when to book exams and how we go the extra mile to protect your eyes.
Contact Lens Exams, Fittings, & Brands
Glasses might not be the only way to correct your vision problem. A contact lens exam at our practice could show you a path to clear vision without cluttersome frames.
Eye Disease Diagnosis & Management
Some eye diseases can cause permanent vision loss, sometimes with no warning signs. Learn more about common eye diseases and how our optometrists can help.